What is Wisepowder L-Ergothioneine (EGT)?
The wisepowder L-Ergothioneine (EGT) is an antioxidant amino acid containing thiol at a physiological pH. Unlike other common antioxidants like N-acetyl-L-cysteine or glutathione, EGT is degraded slowly and is resistant to disulfide formation. The formation of EGT disulfide occurs only at a low pH in the presence of H2O2 or Cu++. It does not occur under physiological conditions.
The compound EGT acts as a bioenergetics factor, cation chelator, antioxidant, and immune regulator. It is very widely distributed in the blood cells and organs.
EGT is an amino acid that occurs naturally, and it’s a thiourea derivative of histine and contains an atom of sulfur on the imidazole ring. It is synthesized in a few organisms, only like cyanobacteria, actinobacteria, and some fungi. It was discovered in 1909 and was named after a fungus called “ergot” from which the amino acid was purified for the very first time, and its structure like wisepowder Lithium orotate was determined.
EGT in Humans
In human beings, wisepowder L-Ergothioneine (EGT) is accumulated in erythrocytes, liver, kidney, bone marrow, eyes, and seminal fluids and is acquired only through diet. To enter human cells, EGT requires a special transporter called OCTN1. It has been confirmed that this transporter is active in humans and is used by EGT for transportation. The effect of this amino acid in vivo is being researched actively, and the physiological role of the drug is still undetermined.
Safe Intake Level Of EGT
The safe amounts of EGT that can be taken by a normal person without showing any major side effects have been researched, and the daily safe limit is found to be 2.82mg/Kg of the bodyweight for an infant. For children, the safe amount would be 3.39 mg/Kg, and for adults, 1.31 mg/Kg can be taken in. Pregnant, as well as breastfeeding women, can take the same amount as adults.
Uses of EGT
Some common uses of EGT include:
- It acts as an anti-depressant: Almost 20% of the total population of the world suffers from depression. This drug has been found very useful in curing depression. It can decrease the occasional stress.
- Application in cosmetic products: Since EGT is a natural product, it is preferred in cosmetics over chemicals. Exposure to direct sunlight for a long time can be bad for us. But EGT is used to make sunblocks that prevent our skin from damage from direct sunlight.
- Cardiovascular Disease: A role for EGT has been found in cardiovascular diseases too. It prevents damage in our liver and cardiac tissues.
- Treatment of Cancer and Kidney Diseases: Normally, patients having any kind of kidney disease usually have a low level of EGT. There’s a role of EGT in good Kidney health. Further, it is being used for the treatment of cancer also.
- Treatment of Preeclampsia: It is a late pregnancy-associated problem that occurs due to the formation of placentation that is defective. EGT is used to treat it.
EGT has been curing patients without any major side effects provided taken in safe amounts.